Web editor refuses to glorify his contribution to newspaper

GA_Brady_Bunch30s3355
Zachary Strain

Ghayde Ayman Ghraowi, Web Editor

Editor's note: A 30 column is a chance for departing permanent staff to say farewell and reflect on their time spent in The Daily Texan’s basement office. The term comes from the old typesetting mark (-30-) to denote the end of a line.

The first email I ever received from the Daily Texan web account read, “If you’re still interested, we are currently conducting tryouts for new staffers for the next three weeks.” I responded almost immediately in the affirmative and have spent nearly every other night since in this basement, forgetting what sleep feels like. Now, on the eve of my departure from this paper (almost a year later), I sit and stare, lost in thought and only half awake. It’s in this state of reverie that I write my first and last byline. I’m told it’s called a 30 Column.

The most exhausting part of working for the web department is undoubtedly the inevitable chore of explaining just what that means to those unfamiliar with our wing of the paper. In jest, I’d simplify the function as immortalizing students’ articles online. But of course, tonight, being my last night as web editor of the Texan, I’m meant to sit here and piece it all together somehow, justify my time and effort into something more meaningful than that.

However, in my modesty and rationale, because I believe my presence is vaguely felt (as is the web department as a whole) and any overdramatic gesture of valediction on my behalf would only feel slight and rehearsed, I must defer all the grand farewells to the heavyweights waving goodbye this semester.

Forgive me for my brevity while I thank you for your attention in witnessing me debut as I conclude.

-30-

Ghayde Ghraowi started at The Daily Texan in spring 2011 as web issue staff. He has been an associate web editor and is now the web editor.