Runners come together for annual Livestrong Austin Marathon

2013-02-18_marathon_Maria
Maria Arrellaga

Volunteers pass out cups of water to runners participating in the 21st annual Livestrong Austin Marathon and Half Marathon Sunday morning.

Runners congregated Sunday morning to sweat, struggle and raise money for cancer research after a 26.2 mile adventure through the streets of Austin. 

For 21 years, the annual Livestrong Austin Marathon and Half Marathon race has combined running and charity to raise funds for cancer research.

According to the foundation, fundraising efforts resulted in a total of $266,406. Sponsored by 26 Miles for 26 Charities, more than 1,000 volunteers from various organizations managed aid stations throughout the course. 

About 26,000 runners participated in the event, according to foundation officials. Among this total, about 10,000 ran the half marathon, about 3,700 ran the full marathon and about 12,000 ran a 5K.

The full marathon started at Congress Avenue and 16th Street, and the 26.2—mile course runs past Lady Bird Johnson Lake, the Allandale and Hyde Park neighborhoods, Congress Avenue, the University’s campus and the State Capitol complex. It ends at Congress Avenue and 10th street.

Omar Martinez won this year’s race after finishing with a time of 2:35:09. This year’s female marathon winner was Mariko Neveu with a time of 2:55:04. The half marathon male winner was Lee Troop with a time of 1:06:46. Melissa Johnson-White completed the half marathon with a time of 1:15:25.

Anjelica Barrientos, president of the Running Club at UT, said she estimated around 10 members were running the full marathon and around fifteen ran the half marathon.

Management senior Thomas Kehoe said he felt motivated after volunteering for five hours. Kehoe helped redistribute participants’ belongings at the end of the race.

“It makes you want to run seeing how much joy running gives to all 20,000 participants,” said Kehoe, who is hoping to participate in next year’s event. “You talk to people who just ran their first or their 20th. Either way, they seemed hooked.”

Communication studies senior Lucia Mueller, former member of the NCAA Women’s Rowing team, said she wanted to run the full marathon because she was itching for another challenge in her athletic life. Mueller finished her first marathon with a time of 4:15:26.

“The fact is that I wanted a taste of the anguish, sweat and struggle of the full 26.2,” Mueller said. “Isn’t that sick? There’s something in competitive blood that is truly disturbing. You want to push your body to its absolute limit … and then some.”

Published on February 18, 2013 as "Race raises funds for research".