Former dean and professor at the School of Information dies at 79

Glynn Harmon, former dean and professor at the School of Information for more than 40 years, died Sunday, Feb. 17 at the age of 79.

Harmon earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at the University of California, Berkeley and a doctorate at Case Western Reserve University. He was considered by many colleagues to be the founding father of the information discipline. Harmon earned the Texas Excellence in Teaching Award and the Excellence in Advising Award. For two years, Harmon served as a graduate adviser and received the Top Advisor Award at UT.

Sam Burns, web content strategist at the School of Information, said Harmon will be greatly missed.

“He was nearly a constant presence in our buildings in the evenings and at night and was always happy to chat about the field, his life or my life,” Burns said. “I will never forget going to the first iConference and witnessing the reception he got from his longtime colleagues and peers." 

Andrew Dillon, dean and professor at the School of Information, said Harmon dedicated his life to UT and the School of Information.

“I know he was proud of what we achieved and hope that he will be duly recognized in the years ahead for his vision,” Dillon said. “On a personal note, he was the warmest, most supportive colleague imaginable who helped generations of students succeed both in their times here at UT and later in their lives. He was a truly remarkable man.”

Printed on Thursday, February 21, 2013 as: Former Dean of Information dies