Global Village promotes cultural awareness, studying abroad for UT students

2013-03-21_Festival_of_Nations_or_Global_Village_Amy
Amy Zhang

English freshman Arati Warrier and economics sophomore Mitali Sathaye perform the “Liquid Dance” from "Slumdog Millionaire," representing Nritya Sangam as part of Global Village. The event promoted cultural awareness, with student tents representing different countries.

Tents representing countries lined the Gregory Plaza Wednesday at an event called Global Village to encourage students to find internships abroad and promote cultural identity.

The event, hosted by the Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales, consisted of tents representing different countries current students in the program traveled to, such as Nigeria, Italy and Egypt. The tents also provided information on the culture in the respective countries and food samples.

“We want to promote cultural awareness and show UT students the different opportunities they have for studying abroad,” computer science sophomore Cindy Jaimez said. “UT is diverse and in order to be culturally aware and to get along with them we need to understand them.”

The association offers multiple types of internships, including the Global Internship Program, which ranges from six to 18 months and come with a stipend. The association also offers the Global Community Development Program, which lasts six to 12 weeks and deals with a specific issue in the community where the student is placed.

Students who worked abroad with the association were available to answer questions about the program and tell stories of their experience. 

“I wanted to immerse myself in another culture and new experience,” psychology senior Kelsey Stewart said. “During my internship I was able to be a part of the AIESEC chapter in Nigeria, which was very receptive, and be in a program where English was spoken while exploring areas of health in Africa.” 

Stewart said the event helped showcase how studying abroad broadens perspectives and said the event helps in informing people about varying cultures. 

In addition to the booths representing a variety of countries, a free concert followed the event with music from the Arab Students Association and Atash, a Persian band, along with other groups. 

Biology freshman Kari Yanez said the event helped her obtain more information for her future plans to study abroad. 

“Events like this are very helpful, educational and informative,” Yanez said. “I don’t have to go out of my way to get information on something I hope to do as early as my junior year.”

This article was edited for accuracy after its original posting. The Global Internship Program ranges from six to 18 months, while the Global Community Development Program ranges from six to 12 weeks. Also, students in the program work abroad.