SG ends term with votes to support limits to Regents, against lower marijuana enforcement

At its final meeting for the term before new representatives take charge of the organization, Student Government voted Tuesday to support a bill in the Texas Legislature that proposes limiting the UT System Board of Regents’ power, as well as voting against legislation that would ask UTPD to make marijuana possession a lower priority offense.

Student Government’s resolution supports a Texas Senate bill, filed by Sen. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo, which would limit responsibilities not specific to the System to fall under the control of the individual institutions.

Student Government also rejected legislation that would encourage UTPD to issue citations instead of arrests for marijuana possession. The legislation argued it would save UTPD time, energy and money, and suggested placing marijuana possession as a lower priority than enforcing the campus-wide tobacco ban.  

Perry Pickei, public health junior and natural sciences representative, said his constituents in the College of Natural Sciences are not in support of the legislation. 

“Students come to this university to change the world, not to get high,” Pickei said. “This resolution is hurried and rash.”

UTPD Chief Robert Dahlstrom said according to Travis County law, officers have the option to arrest or issue a citation to those in possession of fewer than four ounces of marijuana at the officer’s discretion.