Non-specific bomb threat investigations to continue

After a day’s worth of increased security presence on campus, UTPD chief of police Robert Dahlstrom said investigations into Wednesday’s non-specific bomb threat will continue for the next several days.

“The increase in officers that you will see is standard protocol,” Dahlstrom said. “We will be monitoring buildings more closely than normally, 24 hours a day really. All that means is if you’re studying at two in the morning, don’t be shocked if an officer is checking that building out.”

The threat prompted a campus-wide safety alert urging the campus community to report suspicious activity. Dahlstrom said several reports were made, all of which were cleared by police.

“An hour ago we had a report of a suspicious package and it turned out to be someone’s gym bag,” Dahlstrom said. “That’s exactly what we want people to call in — something out of the ordinary, something that wasn’t there yesterday or has been sitting there for a while or looks abandoned. Use your common sense.”

Dahlstrom said the anonymous individual who made the threat has not been apprehended.

“We’re certainly still trying to find out who did it,” Dahlstrom said. “We’re still working that end of it.”

Authorities are asking the campus community to remain vigilant. Suspicious activity or unusual objects should be reported to UTPD at 512-471-4441.