Protest emerges following Student Government Assembly meeting

Shouts echoed through the Student Activity Center on Tuesday night following the Student Government Assembly meeting, as members of the University Leadership Initiative protested SG’s decision to refer a resolution in support of undocumented students to committee for the second time.

The resolution, entitled AR 16 – In Support of Undocumented Students and Undocumented Longhorns Week, would state SG’s support of Undocumented Longhorns Week and all undocumented students at UT.

The resolution was first introduced on Oct. 8 and was referred to the Legislative Affairs Committee, where it passed unanimously. The committee and supporters of the resolution presented their revised version at Tuesday’s meeting. Following a debate between representatives regarding the resolution, the Student Government Assembly voted to re-refer the resolution to the Legislative Affairs Committee.

Veronica Rivera, communications studies and political communications junior and an author of the resolution, said she was frustrated by the decision the Student Government Assembly made.

“I think what was frustrating me was the fact that when I first introduced [the resolution] I wanted it to be fast-tracked because I wanted it to be passed to support new students during this upcoming week,” Rivera said. “None of the people who were opposed to it even said anything. No one went to the committee meetings, even though there were two. Today, everyone attacked it even though we all thought we did our best to make sure everyone would agree with it.” 

SG members who voted to re-refer the resolution could not be reached for comments.