Student Government amends Undocumented Longhorns resolution

Student Government representatives met Sunday night with members of the Legislative Affairs Committee to hash out two amendments to a resolution in support for undocumented students. 

The meeting comes after a debate between representatives led to a vote referring the resolution back to committee deliberations for a second time at last week’s Student Government Assembly. 

The resolution, entitled AR 16 — In Support of Undocumented Students and Undocumented Longhorns Week, is intended to state Student Government’s support of Undocumented Longhorns Week and all undocumented students currently enrolled at the University.

The first of the two amendments made to the resolutions involved a reworking of the document’s language to show support for Undocumented Longhorns Week but to clarify that Student Government is not responsible for the planning and organizing of the week’s events and that the activities are not Student Government initiatives.

The second amendment, which caused debate at the committee meeting, regards Student Government’s stated support for state and federal legislation involving undocumented students and members of the military. Representatives argued that the original wording of the resolution may be interpreted as overtly political, and would fail to be passed in an assembly-wide vote.

“Our administrative director, Josh Tang, proposed the amendment with the goal of changing the wording to be really general and taking a partisan stance on immigration reform,” said Ainee Athar, one of the resolution’s authors.

The original language in the resolution stated that Student Government “endorses Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and endorses a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.” 

The amendment alters the wording of the resolution to state that Student Government “acknowledges the importance of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and recognizes the need of immigration reform for undocumented Longhorns and their families.” 

The resolution has been resubmitted for vote at the Student Government Assembly meeting Tuesday.