Nutritionist speaker provides healthy living advice

2013-11-21_Food_Charlie
Charlie Pearce

Monica Milonovich, Department of Nutritional Sciences Lecturer, speaks about her background as a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs help patient’s chronic diseases and provide dietary guidance for a healthy lifestyle. 

It would be easy to assume registered dietitian nutritionists believe in strict eating habits, but at a talk Wednesday, a woman in this profession revealed that this is not the case.

At the event presented by the Food Studies Project, Monica Milonovich, department of nutritional sciences lecturer, said registered dietitian nutritionists, also known as RDNs, are nutrition experts who help people get on track to live a healthy lifestyle, instead of people who enforce rigid dietary rules.

“Registered Dietitian Nutritionist help manage chronic diseases and provide guidance in what to eat,” Milonovich said. “We spend most of our time with calculations.”

Milonovich said RDNs base nutrition information on facts, not on fads.

“All fads right now are not necessarily healthy nutrition habits,” Milonovich said.

According to Milonovich, RDNs work in clinical, college faculty, home care and school services professions, to name a few. Milonovich said the clinical aspect of a RDN’s profession is to educate patients about nutrition therapy, as a part of the health care team.

Milonovich said all dietitians are nutritionists, but not all nutritionists are dietitians.

“My goal is not to make people feel bad, but to help them change their eating habits for a healthier lifestyle,” Milonovich said.

As part of the Food Studies Project meetings, Paula Toro, anthropology junior and secretary of the project, presented their “food of the week,” guava. 

“Guava can bear fruit as soon as two years, or as long as eight years,” Toro said. “Guava leaves have been used in folk medicine.”

Lillie Leone, Plan II junior and editor of the food blog for the Food Studies Project said members are given the opportunity to share blogs about different food on the organization’s website.

“The blogs are not formal articles, but are creative expressions for all members to describe their ideas and thoughts,” Leono said.