Presidents Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton to headline Civil Rights Summit at LBJ Library in April

ClintonAP
The Associated Press

Former U.S. presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton will be among those on campus for a Civil Rights Summit in April to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the LBJ Library and Presidential Museum announced Monday.

The Summit, scheduled for April 8-10, is one of many celebrations of the civil rights movement the University, LBJ Library, LBJ School of Public Affairs and the LBJ Foundation will be hosting in the next several years.

The Summit will also feature presentations from a diversity of individuals ranging from athletes including former NBA center Bill Russell and former NFL running back Jim Brown to former first daugthers including Luci Baines Johnson and Lynda Johnson Robb.

“Fifty years ago, President Johnson’s vision for a more just and honorable America contributed to the passing of the Civil Rights Act, the most transformational civil rights legislation since Reconstruction and a crucial step in the realization of America’s promise,” said Mark Updegrove, director of the LBJ Library, in the release.