Texas Warrant Roundup to begin Saturday

Law enforcement agencies and courts from more than 300 jurisdictions across Texas will take part in the “Great Texas Warrant Roundup” starting
on Saturday.

The roundup, which is expected to last several days, is a statewide effort to arrest citizens with traffic, parking, city ordinance, penal code and higher charge warrants from participating jurisdictions. Both the Travis County Constable and the Austin Municipal Court will be making arrests this weekend.

John Walker, a spokesman for the Austin Municipal Court, said the number of warrants cleared each year decreases significantly.

Walker said individuals, once arrested, are taken to appear before a judge.

“Then, if needed, which is seldom, they are remanded to the county jail,” Walker said.

About two weeks ago, law enforcement and court officials sent hundreds of thousands of notices to individuals across the state with outstanding warrants. Those individuals were urged to dispose of their cases voluntarily to avoid the inconvenience and embarrassment of arrest at home or work.

According to Walker, the roundup originated in Austin in 2001, and did not become a statewide operation until 2006. Since 2011, nearly 20,000 arrests have been made during roundups.

Walker said individuals should contact participating agencies for information about how to clear warrants prior to arrest.