SG to focus efforts on “stealth dorm” issue

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

Although there has not been much student involvement in the “stealth dorm” issue, Student Government plans to develop resolution regarding the issue, according to incoming SG President Kori Rady.

Austin City Council took an initial vote to limit the number of unrelated adults who are allowed together in a single-family zoned property on Feb. 14. The council will meet on March 20 for a second reading — out of three required to pass. If approved, the limit will be reduced from six people to four.

Rady said he is not aware of any specific student groups who have pushed for legislation on the issue, and student body elections have been the major focus in the last several weeks.

“With Student Government elections and campaigning, [the proposed city code change] was right in the middle of that,” Rady said.

While no SG legislation has so far been proposed or passed, Rady said, in the next several weeks, SG will focus more on the issue.

“I think it’s important to a lot of students,” Rady said. “We’ll definitely start working on something in the next couple of weeks.”

Mayor Pro Tem Sheryl Cole initially proposed that eight weeks be allotted to conduct an economic study to determine the proposed city code change’s potential effect on affordable housing, but her motion was turned down 3-4 in favor of a six-week period of study, which passed 6-1.

Cole said she thinks the difference in votes between the two amendments was a result of some council members deciding that the economic study was necessary.

“[With the second proposed amendment], I think some of us decided we didn’t want to be voting against information,” Cole said. “The first time, we were like, ‘We need to hurry up and finish this.’”

Cole said she was surprised students were not engaged in the process to change the city code.

“I don’t know why students didn’t get involved in that,” Cole said. “I’d like to see that.”