Weeks after $50,000 MacBook theft, no arrests have been made

More than four weeks after $55,000 worth of new Apple MacBooks were stolen from a secured storage area in the Main Building, campus police have not made any arrests — or released any information whatsoever about the investigation.

UTPD spokeswoman Cindy Posey said she thinks police are still investigating the incident.

“Unless they’ve figured something out and didn’t tell me, which I doubt that — my guess is that it probably is still in the investigation stage,” Posey said.

The computers were stolen from the first floor of the Main Building at some point between 5 a.m. Feb. 13 and 7 a.m. Feb. 14, according to a UTPD Campus Watch report. Police records show $54,947 worth of technology were stolen.

Employees in the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Admissions, which are both located on the ground floor of the Main Building, said Monday they did not know about the theft.

Posey could not disclose information such as how the computers were stolen, why the computers were being stored and what the computers would have been used for.

“I wouldn’t be privy to any of that information because that would jeopardize the investigation,” Posey said.

This type of large-scale theft does not occur frequently on campus, according to Posey.

“Without looking at the data, it’s hard to say for a fact,” Posey said. “But my recollection of the data is no, this does not happen frequently. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t happen very often.”