Graduate public affairs student Gene Vela still in jail, facing eight charges

Gene Vela, the public affairs graduate student involved in an armed standoff with two Austin police officers Nov. 10, remains in custody at the Travis County Jail.

According to the Travis County Criminal Court docket, Vela faces eight charges, including two charges of unlawful carrying of a weapon, two charges of aggravated assault against a public servant and one charge of terroristic threat.

Austin police shot Vela in the torso after Vela aimed his handgun at two officers from the window of his apartment, according to the police affidavit.

Vela is set to appear in court twice in the next three weeks, with one hearing scheduled Friday and the other scheduled for April 14.

According to court records, Adam Reposa is listed as Vela’s defense attorney for the first hearing, but Reposa said he is no longer representing Vela. Edmund Milton Davis is listed as Vela’s defense attorney for the second hearing. 

Steve Brand, a prosecuting attorney for the District Attorney’s Office, said the attorney information on the court docket had probably not been updated yet.

Brand said he does not expect any major changes to the case as a result of tomorrow’s hearing.

“Nothing is going to happen … If the defense wants to file motions to suppress evidence or anything like that, they can,” Brand said. “But there’s nothing there right now.”