Longhorn Network to provide tape delay of President Jimmy Carter’s speech because of baseball game

PRESSLonghorn_Network-Logo

Longhorn Network plans to telecast every event of the LBJ Library’s Civil Rights Summit live this week except former President Jimmy Carter’s speech because of a prior programming commitment.

Carter is scheduled to speak with LBJ Library Director Mark Updegrove at the summit on Tuesday from 6-7:30 p.m., but the Longhorn Network will air Texas’ home baseball game against the Rice Owls, scheduled to start at 7 p.m., live instead.

Stacie McCollum, Longhorn Network programming and acquisition director, said the baseball game is a live programming commitment in place for months that could not be moved.

“The schedule for the Civil Rights Summit was set so we worked with [the LBJ Library] to the best that we could,” McCollum said. “The Civil Rights Summit was already scheduled based on Carter’s commitment. That was the day that worked for him. So it wasn’t a matter of picking and choosing who aired and who didn’t air live.”

Members of Carter’s staff could not be reached for comment. Texas baseball head coach Augie Garrido also declined to comment.

Kristy Ozmun, Longhorn Network local media contact, said the channel will air the Carter speech on tape delay.

“Carter is still going to air,” Ozmun said. “It’s just going to air later that evening so it won’t be live but it’ll air as soon as possible and re-air leading into Wednesday’s coverage of the Civil Rights Summit. There will be 14 hours of live programming that will air on Longhorn Network for the summit.”

McCollum said the network has aired academic programming since it launched in 2011 and has a franchise on the network called “LBJ Presents,” chronicling events put on by the LBJ Library. She said the network is in contact with the library weekly to discuss programming opportunities and the summit is an extension of that partnership.

“They recognize the commitment — the 14 hours of live programming, almost 16 total hours — but I would say they are equally pleased with our partnership and our commitment as we are with working with them,” McCollum said.

The LBJ Library, in collaboration with Google and Longhorn Network, will live stream each of the Civil Rights Summit programs on the summit’s website. Anne Wheeler, LBJ Library spokeswoman, said Carter’s speech can be seen live on the live stream. 

“The Longhorn Network is actually providing live video of president Carter’s program to television networks covering the summit and the live stream in real time,” Wheeler said. “His program is only tape delayed for Longhorn Network subscribers. We don’t have any concerns about that at all.”

According to the LBJ Library, the summit will comprise of afternoon panel discussions and evening keynote addresses — from President Barack Obama and former presidents George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Carter — reflecting on the civil rights legislation and examining current issues of civil rights.

“This is by far our biggest academic initiative to date and we see this as a great opportunity to be a part of something that is historic and newsworthy,” McCollum said. “So we are very pleased to partner with LBJ in such a big way.”