Collegiate fragrance line adds UT to collection

2014-04-22_Perfume_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Masik Collegiate Fragrances, a company that distributes perfumes and colognes for twenty state universities, created a new University of Texas perfume that can now be purchased. The scent of the fragrances are inspired by multiple elements, such as the school colors, campus style, flowers and trees, traditions and location.  

Longhorn fans can now purchase University-themed cologne and perfume fragrances, released by Masik Collegiate Fragrances, a company that distributes perfumes and colognes for 20 state universities. 

The fragrance company received input from students, faculty and staff to inform its decision regarding ingredients for the scent. Katie Masich, founder and CEO of Masik Collegiate Fragrances, said the UT men’s cologne includes a hint of soft leather reminiscent of the boots worn during football season, and the women’s perfume includes spring scents reminiscent of the Texas bluebonnet.

“These signature scents are inspired by unique elements, such as the school colors, campus style, flowers and trees, traditions, and location,” Masich said. “We pitch our perfumers a ‘fragrance brief’ that outlines these school specific elements along with pictures of the university campus, sporting events, students and alumni. Once we formulate scent options for the school, the universities conduct smell sessions to determine which fragrances they like best.”

The UT fragrance, which both the Co-op and the company’s website are selling for $39.50, was released directly following the launch of a fragrance for the University of Oklahoma, though Masich said the coinciding releases had nothing to do with the schools’ rivlary.

“When a school rivalry launches, we typically do get questions about the other school, but [UT’s fragrance launch] wasn’t directly related [to OU’s launch],” Masich said. “Though we do hope to go to the Red River Rivalry this year and promote and spray fans with OU or Texas.”

Jo’Nell Pierpont, University Co-op representative who handles ladies’ fragrance, said sales of the fragrance have been profitable since the product launched three weeks ago.

“The reception has been surprisingly strong,” Pierpont said. “We are thrilled to be able to offer this product, as there are no other options available for a licensed Texas fragrance.”

Architecture freshman Jessica Bonaventura said she does not see why the fragrance has been successful and will not buy the perfume unless it is inexpensive.

“Anyone who cares enough to wear perfume or cologne most likely has their preferred brand, and, if they are going to spend the kind of money one needs to spend for those products, they are going to go to a brand name, not the Co-op,” Bonaventura said. “I don’t know if you can capture the smell of a university in cologne.”