Quotes to Note: From UT to the Attorney General

From the attorney general’s response to the president’s contraception mandate to the governor’s defense of his compensation, the following quotes are among the best from the last few days.

“The University does not tolerate sexual harassment in any form, and we have a strong policy that prohibits it. … We began investigating these allegations as soon as we learned about them and took appropriate action.”

— Patti Ohlendorf, UT Vice President for legal affairs, on the termination of Cleve Bryant, an associate athletic director for football operations, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

“Obamacare’s latest mandate tramples the First Amendment’s freedom of religion and compels people of faith to act contrary to their convictions. The president’s so-called ‘accommodation’ was nothing but a shell game.”

— Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott last Thursday, on President Barack Obama’s contraception mandate, according to a press release. The attorney general’s office joined six other states in legally challenging the mandate.

“I would suggest to you that it’s rather inappropriate if you’ve earned something if you don’t take it and take care of your family. … This was put into place by the Legislature, and if your point is it’s not appropriate, then the Legislature will change it.”

— Gov. Rick Perry, defending his decision to take money from his retirement fund before actually retiring, according to The Texas Tribune.

“When I began this job, my first priority was to do everything we could to support faculty and research. … I started with my staff and we are continuing the process.”

— John Sharp, chancellor of the Texas A&M University System, on his decision to outsource services such as building maintenance and custodial services to cut expenses, according to The Texas Tribune.