Quotes to Note: Sovereignty over the state and women

Editor’s note: From all of Greg Abbott’s lawsuits to the rejection of the state voter ID law, these are among our favorite quotes from the past several days.

“Don’t think I let the day go by without another lawsuit against the Federal Gov’t. One coming any minute.”
— Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott on his latest lawsuit against the federal government, according to his Twitter account. On Friday, Abbott filed legal action because the federal government cut off funding for Texas’ Women’s Health Program after the state promised to exclude clinics affiliated with abortion providers from the program.

“For the Department of Justice to now contend that Texas cannot implement its voter ID law denies Texas the ability to do what other states can rightfully exercise under the Constitution.”
— Abbott on the Voting Rights Act, which calls for pre-clearance of changes to election laws in states with a history of voter discrimination, according to a press release. Abbott filed suit against the federal government on Wednesday in protest of the law.

“We are going to have to spend a lot of money and time defending our right to make sovereign decisions from this administration.”
— Texas Gov. Rick Perry on the decision of the state attorney general’s office to sue the federal government after it blocked a new state law that would require a photo voter ID — over Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, according to CBS. The provision calls for pre-clearance of changes to election laws in states with a history of voter discrimination.

“Yes, I think that’s one of the things that made Austin a city that we are going to look at … That was definitely a selling point.”
— Apple representative Jason Lundgaard on whether Austin has a strong pool of qualified potential employees, according to KUT. Apple is considering locating a facility in Austin that would create 3,600 permanent jobs.

“It’s inexcusable that the lieutenant governor does not show up to let Texans hear what he stands for. … Is he a good guy? Maybe. But he’s right now depriving Texans.”
— U.S. Senate candidate Craig James on the absences of fellow candidate and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst at campaign debates and forums, according to The Dallas Morning News.

“The report confirms what we know: The public education system across the board is not producing results necessary for Texas to remain competitive.”
— Texas Association of Business President Bill Hammond on a new study that found that only 20 percent of Texas eighth graders receive a postsecondary degree within six years of graduating high school, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

“We believe the intended actions will have significant negative impacts on operations and morale at the university yet are not likely to result in significant cost savings.”
— A&M University’s faculty senate on the move, spearheaded by new system chancellor John Sharp, to privatize services, according to the Texas Tribune.

“It’s a contradiction for me, you know … that street cred’s right out the door and I get it.”
— Austinite John Duffy on the divide between his Occupy Austin affiliation and his candidacy for Austin City Council, according to KUT.