Quotes to Note for April 7: Ft. Hood, civil rights

“I truly hated [the way I was treated], but it wasn’t in me to give up. I stayed because we had a right to be there.”

— Peggy Holland, former UT student, on her experience as a black student at UT in 1958

“Using an automobile, increasingly in Central Austin, is going to become more and more difficult. There’s just no two ways around that.”

— Austin City Demographer Ryan Robinson on the growing congestion in Travis County

“What we’re seeing now is that Texas has done extremely well since the recession … we were kind of the only game in town. Now we’re seeing the rest of the U.S. catch up, and the forecast right now is very favorable.”

— Pia Orrenius, a senior economist and vice president of the Federal Reserve of Dallas, on the expected widespread job growth across the U.S

“We have very strong evidence that he had a medical history that indicates unstable psychiatric or psychological condition. We believe that to be a fundamental underlying cause.”

— Lt. Gen. Mark Milley speaking at a press conference Wednesday about the suspect in the Fort Hood shooting 

“When a bird has oil coating its eyes and bill, it’s not capable of getting rid of it. Watching this is like watching them die in slow motion.”

— David Newstead, a research scientist at the Corpus Christi-based nonprofit Coastal Bend Bays & Estuaries Program, speaking to The Texas Tribune on the Galveston Bay oil spill that left hundreds of birds oiled

“When I first started this, I had this spontaneous response to helping kids, and I had this amazing feeling about giving, and giving felt really good, and it still feels amazing.”

— Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS, on the importance of service at the annual Texas Cowboys Lectureship on Wednesday