Report: Shane Buechele planning to enter NCAA transfer portal

Shane_Buechele_2018-10-13_Texas_v_Baylor_Angela
Angela Wang

The Longhorns recently had their strongest season at quarterback since Colt McCoy ran the show, thanks to the stellar play of Sam Ehlinger and the relief efforts of Shane Buechele.

But now, Buechele — Texas’ second-string quarterback — could be on his way out of Austin after reports surfaced late Wednesday that the junior intends to enter the NCAA’s transfer database.

Anwar Richardson of OrangeBloods.com was the first to report Buechele’s intentions to enter the transfer portal.

During fall camp at the beginning of last season, Buechele was engaged in a competition for the starting job with Ehlinger before the latter was given the primary signal-calling duties. Buechele appeared in two games for the Longhorns last season, once filling in for an injured Ehlinger against Baylor and again when he took over weeks later in garbage time against Iowa State.

Buechele finished 30-for-44 on the season for 273 yards, two touchdowns and one interception during the 2018 season.

The rumors of Buechele’s uncertain future at Texas have been swirling since he lost the starting job, but Wednesday’s reports are the first official hearings of the quarterback’s intentions.

The news of Buechele comes in the wake of increasing talks about whether or not quarterback Cameron Rising, a true freshman at Texas, will be on the roster next season.

Rising, along with fellow freshman Casey Thompson, entered their names into the transfer portal in December prior to the team’s Sugar Bowl appearance. Rising has since visited the University of Utah and has reportedly informed the Texas coaching staff that he will not be returning to Austin next season. Whether or not Rising is planning to join Utah has not yet been confirmed.

Simply entering the transfer portal does not guarantee that any player will leave his current program. It only means that a player can openly speak with other programs about transferring, meaning Buechele, Rising and/or Thompson could still end up back on the Longhorns’ depth chart this spring.

If Buechele and Rising are both on their way out, Texas would be left with three quarterbacks on scholarship should Thompson return for another season. The third quarterback would be newly signed recruit Roschon Johnson of Port Neches-Groves, a four-star player.