Little to lose for Horns against Cornhuskers

We have all had our week to gripe about the Longhorns.

Now it is time to rally around them.

The team hasn’t given up, and neither should you. Yes, Texas has lost its last two games. But you can’t dwell on the past forever.

The Longhorns have long forgotten UCLA and Oklahoma. Right now the biggest concern is Nebraska — a team that is still upset after last year’s Big 12 Championship.

While the Cornhuskers would love to get back at the Longhorns and hand them their third straight loss of the season, Texas is just as dangerous. That’s because the Longhorns have nothing to lose. Nebraska, on the other hand, has everything to lose. One slip-up will end the Cornhuskers’ national title hopes. Alabama slipped up last week when no one thought it was possible. This week, not many people think it’s possible for Texas to go to Lincoln and upset the fifth-ranked team in the country.

“I haven’t heard anybody say that we have a chance,” said head coach Mack Brown.

Well then let me be the first. Texas does have a chance. They have a good chance. Not just to keep it close, but to win.

The Longhorns know what to expect and are familiar with Nebraska’s schemes. More importantly, the Longhorns are hungry and ready to show that they deserve to be back in the rankings.

“I’m ready,” said cornerback Aaron Williams. “I wished we played tomorrow. I wished we played in five minutes.”

Despite the two losses, the Longhorns still feel like they are among the best teams in the country and are capable of winning every game.

“We always feel like we are going to win no matter what the situation,” said defensive tackle Kheeston Randall. “We still feel like that.”

See, the players still feel good about themselves. And so should you.

Don’t be ashamed to wear your burnt orange to class tomorrow. Continue to be proud of being a Longhorn. If you see a football player on campus, give him a high five and a couple of words of encouragement.

Although a national championship may be out of the question, Texas can still take other teams out of the BCS race. The Longhorns can still make it to the Big 12 Championship game and a BCS bowl.

It is way too early to give up. As Bluto from “Animal House” said, “Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!”

So get your heads up. Get back to that confidence and continue to show your Texas pride.

Remember that you could be somewhere much worse, like Nebraska. Does anyone even know where Nebraska is?