Petrucelli points out missed net attempts

After a defense-led win over No. 5 Oklahoma State on Friday, the Longhorns fell to Oklahoma in a game that focused on offense and moving forward. Unfortunately, that playing style only works when the team capitalizes.

The Longhorns lost to Oklahoma 2-1 in double-overtime, even though Texas dominated the first half with numerous scoring opportunities.

Goal-scoring has eluded the Longhorns this season and going into Sunday’s game, it was 10th out of 11 teams in the Big 12 in goals scored.

Although the team only had six shots in the first half, the Longhorns wasted numerous scoring opportunities.

Defenders Sophie Campise and Erica Campanelli both had shots and made runs forward throughout the half, which created confusion for the Sooners with more Texas players forward.

OU’s Whitney Palmer headed the ball over goalie Alexa Gaul in the 10th minute, but midfielder Kylie Doniak responded 10 minutes later when she intercepted a sloppy pass and took a left-footed shot into the top right corner from 20 yards out. That goal tied her with midfielder Kristin Cummins for most goals on the team with five.

“I was just kind of surprised that the ball got to me off that kick, and then I just knew I wanted to go to goal,” Doniak said. “I didn’t really think of anything but getting a shot off.”
Doniak and forward Hannah Higgins, who started on top, worked well together, but their coordination did not get the ball in the back of the net.

“Me and Hannah have worked really hard this year just working off each other,” Doniak said. “I think we both have a complimentary style of play. She’s fast and dribbles, and I like to pass it to her, so it works well.”

Cummins had a near-goal in the 32nd minute of the second half when her sliding shot off of Doniak’s deflection missed widely.

Overtime was also high-powered offensively, especially in the first four minutes when close opportunities by Higgins and forward Gabby Zarnegar had Texas fans on the edge of their seats.
Head coach Chris Petrucelli said the team did not have enough composure in front of the goal to finish.

“The wind, I think, again tonight was a big factor,” Petrucelli said. “We didn’t take advantage of the chances that we had to win.”

First-place Texas A&M will not provide many chances when it visits Austin Friday night.