Bounce-back meet features premier teams

After a disappointing yet hard-fought loss to No. 2 ranked Georgia two weeks ago, the No. 6 ranked Longhorns hope that their home field advantage will end their two-meet losing streak. This weekend Texas will face No. 7 Arizona at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center in Austin. Last year, Texas traveled to Tucson where they lost to Arizona 201-152.

A loaded Texas team will take the pool this weekend. Sophomore Laura Sogar and junior Karlee Bispo have both been recognized this season for their outstanding recent performances. Sophomore diver Maren Taylor, who is competing individually in the USA Diving Winter National Championships at Iowa, had two diving wins against Georgia and is expected to be a strong force for the Longhorn diving contention.

The losses, although disappointing, may not indicate failure because they came soon after an intense winter training camp in Colorado Springs. Head coach Kim Brackin is confident that, despite the losses to two highly ranked opponents in Auburn and Georgia, the team has what it takes to succeed in the matches to come.

“I’m happy with how the team faced a traditionally tough Georgia squad,” Brackin said. “We’ll get sharper as we begin to recover. I’m just glad to see mental toughness right now. It will be crucial for the Big 12 and NCAA Championships.”

The meet against Arizona will be a good measure of how the Longhorns will perform against top opponents. Only a few regular season meets remain before the post season, which features the Big 12 and NCAA Championships, both in Austin.

———

Date: Fri. to Sat.
Time: 3 p.m.
Place: Lee and Joe Jamail Swim Center
(Austin)