Texas’ weekend mission: divide and conquer

The Longhorn women will split up this weekend, with some of the team attending the Houston Invitational and Multi’s and the rest competing at the Arkansas Invitational in Fayetteville.

The Longhorns are coming off a strong finish at their first meet Jan. 14, where they finished first with 177 points. The women won five events and set eight personal-bests competing against Rice, Houston, UT San Antonio and Louisiana Tech.

The ultimate goal of the Longhorns is to win a national title, but they plan to stay competitive at this weekend’s meets.

“We want to win a national title and everything that falls under that we want to win as well,” senior distance runner Betzy Jimenez said. “Some things don’t need to be said anymore, because things are already in motion. We just need to go with the tide because that has already been started.”

Half the team will compete against Houston and UT San Antonio again at the Houston Invitational and Multi’s, which will take place both Jan. 28 and 29. Other invited teams at the invitational include North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston State, and Lamar.

The Arkansas Invitational will be hosted by No. 6 Arkansas and will feature seven teams that are ranked in the latest release of the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association national poll.

The inclusion of highly ranked teams make the Arkansas Invitational an important meet for the Longhorns.

“The distance races are going to be more competitive in Arkansas,” Jimenez said.

Top ranked teams that will participate include number 19 Arizona, number three LSU, number 14 Florida State, and number 18 Texas. Also competing will be Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Stanford and TCU.

Jimenez said the young members of the team will create an all-around competitive attitude at both meets, even though it is still early in the season.

“In past years you have had to develop the girls, but these girls came in with that mentality,” she said. “They came ready to contribute.”

The Arkansas invitational will take place on Friday, beginning at 11 a.m. with the pentathalon and continuing with field events a 3 p.m. and distance at 6 p.m.

———

Razorback Invitational
Fri. to Sat.
Date: Fri. to Sat.
Time: All Day
Place: Arkansas Randall-Tyson Track
(Fayetteville, Kan.)

Houston Invite
Fri. to Sat.
Date: Fri. to Sat.
Time: All Day
Place: Yeoman Fieldhouse
(Houston)