Rebuilt Longhorns bring in top recruit, Gray’s future unsure

Tuesday provided mixed news out of the Longhorn football program.

Earlier in the week, Austin American-Statesman columnist Kirk Bohls wrote that Texas defensive backs coach Jerry Gray was a leading candidate for the defensive coordinator position with the NFL’s Tennessee Titans. Then on Tuesday morning, Hookem.com reported that new Titans head coach Mike Munchak contacted Gray to offer him the job.

Gray and Munchak coached together in Tennessee for four seasons from 1997 to 2000.

There has been no official word from Gray, who came to Texas just three weeks ago.

But there was also some good news for Longhorns fans this week. A week after inking one of the top recruiting classes in the nation, the program received its first verbal commit of the 2012 class.

On Monday, Scottsdale, Ariz., quarterback Connor Brewer called head coach Mack Brown to commit. The pro-style quarterback is thought of as one of the best prospects in the nation and his announcement comes just prior to the University’s Junior Day this Saturday, when other recruits in his class will visit campus to meet with coaches and staff.
Brewer is the first recruit brought in by new co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin.

Then, on Tuesday, the NCAA finally cleared Tevin Jackson to enroll at Texas. The linebacker was regarded as one of the top players in Texas’ 2010 recruiting class but was unable to play this past fall because of a transcript issue with the NCAA Eligibility Center. Jackson will enroll in June.

Even if Gray decides to leave, the early commitment by Brewer goes a long way to show that Texas is still a popular commodity, while Jackson’s clearance is a boost to a defense that regressed in 2010.