Road warriors look to do it again in Florida

After two tough matches against in-state rivals Texas A&M and Rice, Texas heads to Tallahassee to take on Florida State. Texas will be looking to maintain its undefeated start to this season against another quality opponent on the road.

The Longhorns have been tough to beat on the road this season, winning against Tulsa and California in Tulsa, at Michigan and Texas A&M in Houston. Part of the reason for their success has been their consistency in doubles matches this season. Texas has won the doubles point in every match this season, giving them an early edge.

“In doubles, we were down a break at all three spots,” said head coach Michael Center of the match against A&M. “But we broke back at all three. We ended up breaking them up at 6-7 to win the match at No. 3 doubles.”

With the one-point advantage, Texas would take the match 4-3.

“Obviously, the doubles point was a huge point,” Center said.

This consistency has put all of Texas’ opponents against the wall early, making them have to win four singles matches to get the victory. Though there have been some close calls, no team has been able to accomplish that against the Longhorns this season, and thus, they remain unbeaten.

Despite their strong play in doubles and an undefeated record, Center isn’t satisfied with the way his team has been playing yet. Texas’ last two road matches have both come down to the final pairing in singles play, with the Longhorns prevailing. But if Texas is going to be able to make a championship run at the end of this season, it will have to tighten up the singles play.

Florida State will provide a stiff challenge at home, but after a close win over a top-10 Aggie team, Texas should be confident heading into the match. And after the match against SMU got postponed to the Feb. 26, the Longhorns should be well rested too.