Horns look to start new streak tonight against Nebraska

Texas is looking to rebound after its five-game win streak was snapped in a blowout loss to Baylor on Saturday.

The loss against the top-ranked team unmasked a number of Texas’ (16-8, 5-5) weaknesses that were just no match for the Bears’ game.

Texas’ offense proved to be one-dimensional against Baylor. While junior Ashleigh Fontenette led Texas with 23 points, freshman Chassidy Fussell, who averages 18 points, was held to just 11 points, shooting a measly 4-of-17 from the field.

“We got beat in every way,” head coach Gail Goestenkors said after Saturday’s game. “Inside and outside, their penetration, their transitions.”

Ultimately, Texas was outplayed the entire game. Stopping the Bears’ Brittney Griner proved to be impossible for the Longhorns as she outscored Texas by herself in just the first half.

For many squads, discouragement after a tough loss is inevitable. But for Texas, reminiscing about the past is not part of their game plan.

“We’re moving forward,” Goestenkors said. “Every game in the Big 12 is a battle, and we can’t dwell on the past.”

Moving forward will come in the form of tonight’s match-up against Nebraska (12-12, 2-8 Big 12).

The Huskers, who have lost four of their last five contests, are led by sophomore Lindsey Moore and freshman Jordan Hooper. As point guard, Moore is averaging 14.5 points per game in Big 12 play, while Hooper leads the Huskers with 14.8 points per game.

For Nebraska, keeping up its stamina proved to be a large setback in its most recent loss against Oklahoma State.

“We were ready to play, but it’s also a matter of being able to sustain it for long periods of time,” said Nebraska head coach Connie Yori. “There’s a certain toughness about that, but it’s also about being able to play enough kids to sustain energy.”

The Longhorns hold a 13-6 advantage all-time over the Huskers.

Tonight’s matchup will feature a showdown between two of the Big 12’s highest-scoring freshmen, Fussell and Hooper. Fussell leads the league as the top freshman scorer, while Hooper leads conference freshmen in three-pointers with 53. Fussell is currently trailing Hooper’s three-pointer count by only two shots behind the arc.

Focusing on its strong suits will be important for Texas in the coming games. Senior Kat Nash leads the league in free throws, making 72-of-79. Junior Ashley Gayle is second in blocked shots, averaging 3.4 per game.

In an attempt to get back over the .500 mark, Texas is keeping its focus on the future.

Getting back to their winning ways after the Baylor loss will undoubtedly be difficult for the Longhorns, but the squad is ready to move forward.

“We have a new battle in front of us tomorrow when we host Nebraska,” Goestenkors said. “We’re focusing our efforts on beginning a new streak as we come down the conference stretch.”