Baseball: Record offensive day propels Texas to victory

The Longhorns started the first inning out with a bang, scoring four runs to put the Brown Bears in an early deficit.

They would continue to play at such a high production, getting a season-high 14 hits and scoring eight runs in a 8-0 win over the Bears (0-4) Friday night at UFCU Disch-Falk.

“It was our best game of the year,” Texas head coach Augie Garrido said.

Junior pitcher Taylor Jungmann continued his hot start to the year, notching his fourth win in an eight pitch, three-hit effort. Jungmann struck out four batters and allowed two walks in 88 pitches, a short night of work compared to his last outing against Stanford, when the righty threw 120 pitches in a win.

“I threw a lot of pitches last week and I think they were trying to get me through eight easy and keep my pitch count low,” Jungmann said.

Jungmann improved to a 13-0 record at home throughout his career, but the story of the game was the Texas offense, which scored four runs in the first, second and third inning and a run apiece in both the seventh and eighth.

“We had high-level quality at-bats, especially in the first five innings,” Garrido said. “This early in the season it’s nice to achieve success with the little things, like bunting, that we’re trying to do. It gives the players confidence that it [our offensive schemes] works.”

The fifth-ranked Longhorns (9-4) were led at the place by junior shortstop Brandon Loy, who was 3-for-5, and freshman catcher Jacob Felts, who turned in a 2-for-4, 2 RBI performance.

“These past couples, we’ve been talking about our individual approaches at the plate, trying to slow the game down and see one pitch at a time,” Felts said. “We’ve made it a team effort.”

Only one of the nine starting batters for Texas failed to register a hit and, collectively, the team batted .388.

The Longhorns continue their four-game homestand against Brown tomorrow at noon, the first game of a doubleheader.