Garrido’s bunch squares off against Brown

Texas hosts a four-game series with Brown this weekend, and the Longhorns will look to string together a set of wins for the first time this season. Texas (8-4) has yet to win more than two games consecutively, and Brown (0-3) may be the perfect springboard before Big 12 play begins next week.

Brown opened its season last week by being swept by Vanderbilt but didn’t lose a game by more that two runs. Matthew Kimball (0-0, 1.29 ERA) will start today for the Bears and will look to pick up his first win of the season after giving up only one run in seven innings of a no-decision loss.

Kimball’s counterpart will be Taylor Jungmann, which bodes well for the Longhorns who are 19-0 at home when Jungmann (3-0, 1.01 ERA) starts. Sophomore Hoby Milner will start game one of a double-header Saturday, the first Saturday start of his career. Milner (1-0, 1.35 ERA) has appeared in four games for Texas this year, but will be making only his second start of the season.

“I’m just going to do whatever they tell me to do,” Milner said, adding that there isn’t much of a difference in preparation for starting and pitching out of the bullpen. “Your goal is to go out there and get outs.”

Texas has been tweaking things on offense in an attempt to generate more scoring and changed its lineup Tuesday for the first time this season.

“We’re just trying new things, and seeing what works best before conference comes around,” said outfielder Mark Payton, who batted second on Tuesday, instead of his usual third spot.

Cole Green (0-2, 4.32 ERA) will start Sunday’s game, after picking up a no-decision on Tuesday.

“He was putting too much pressure on himself,” said Texas head coach Augie Garrido. “You get to a point sometimes in this game where you try to do too much, you think the world is depending on you, and you can’t play.”