Win over rival Sooners would give team boost

After a promising start to the season, Texas took a step back over the past three weeks. Losses to Ohio State, North Carolina, Southern California and Virginia have spoiled the Longhorns’ perfect season, but with conference play starting, they can regain their confidence and re-establish themselves as an elite team in a rugged Big 12.

With five teams in the top 30, conference play will give Texas a great opportunity to get the season back on track, starting today against Oklahoma. The Sooners are ranked No. 30 in the nation and are entering the match at 9-3 fresh off a 4-3 win over TCU after also suffering a loss to Virginia a week ago.

Texas’ most recent outing featured a loss to Virginia on Sunday and then a shutout win against St. Edwards that same night. The Longhorns’ doubles game has been amongst the best in the nation and will be key if they are to have success in conference. Led by the duo of senior Ed Corrie and junior Jean Andersen, Texas has won the last seven doubles points and has only dropped one all season ­­— to Illinois. While the doubles game play has been elite, its singles players haven’t been able to find the same kind of consistency. At the ITA National Team Indoor Championship in February, Corrie posted wins against multiple top-five opponents, but he has not been able to get back to that same level since. Fellow senior Kellen Damico stepped into the No. 2 slot and performed well in the lineup with Andersen out.

If it can live up to its potential in the singles game, Texas can once again be amongst the nation’s elite, but until then, Texas will rely on its doubles game to give it the lead in matches and pick up singles wins where it can get them.

———

No. 4 Texas at No. 10 Oklahoma
Date: Friday
Time: 6 p.m.
Place: Headington Family Tennis Center
(Norman, Okla.)