Texas wins tri-meet beating UCLA, Arkansas

Over the weekend the Longhorns prevailed in a tri-meet against No. 14 Arkansas and No. 24 UCLA.

Keiron Stewart was the entertainment for the crowd in Austin as he broke a 15-year school record in the 110-meter hurdles. Stewart clocked a nation-leading time of 13.44 seconds and now holds the school record for both the indoor and outdoor hurdle times. Stewart also placed second in the 400 hurdles.

Andre Thomas added another win for Texas with a first-place time of 46.84 seconds in the 400.

Texas shot-putters Jacob Thormaehlen, Hayden Baillio, and Brandon Drenon swept the top three sports in the shot-put event. Baillio tossed 60-3.75 to earn a first place finish, Thormaehlen came in second with a toss of 60-1, and Drenon threw 58-1.25 to come in third.

All three also took part in the discus, with Drenon taking first with an impressive throw of 184-3.

Trevante Rhodes placed first in the 200, clocking in at 20.77 seconds, and came in second in the 100 with a personal-best time of 10.33 seconds.

Seniors Jamal Wilson and Kenny Greaves took first and second place, respectively, in their events. Wilson cleared 7 1/2 in the high jump while Greaves reached 16-10 3/4 in the pole vault.

The 4×400 relay team ran Texas’ best time since 2006. Alex Williams, Rhodes, Marquise Goodwin and D.J. Monroe clocked a time of 40.02 that placed them in third.

“This is where we wanted to start,” said Texas coach Bubba Thornton. “Let’s see where we can take it and where we can finish it off. We’ve got the guys. We’ve got them believing. We’ve set the bar pretty high. Let’s see where we can finish.”

The next event for the Longhorns is the much-anticipated Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays.