Horns lay it on Tigers in 10-1 win for series sweep

Texas used a five-run first inning and eight innings from Cole Green to beat Missouri 10-1 Sunday and sweep the Tigers on the weekend. The Longhorns (21-7, 7-2 Big 12) grabbed the momentum early with four two-out hits and didn’t look back.

“Once one person starts hitting, it’s contagious. We all kind of go off of each other,” said second baseman Jordan Etier. “You see one guy hit it, and you know you can hit it, too.”

Erich Weiss and Lucas Kephart walked each with two outs in the bottom of the first inning and scored on Tant Shepherd and Etier singles, respectively. Then Jacob Felts cleared the bases with a three-run home run that clanged off of the left-field foul pole.

“I’ve been kind of struggling lately, so it felt good to get a hit out of the way and get it going,” Felts said. “I wasn’t really watching it, but I looked up right before it hit the foul pole.”

Etier got his second RBI in the fifth inning on a ground out that scored Lucas Kephart. Kephart had two runs and two walks in the win but tormented the Tigers all weekend with his hitting. The junior college transfer finished the weekend 4-for-10 with seven RBIs.

“That kid’s amazing,” Shepherd said. “He deserves every bit that’s been happening to him. You can’t say enough good things about Lucas.”

Green struck out in seven of eight innings and didn’t give up an earned run en route to his second win of the season.

“When we get a bunch of run support, I think we’re able to go out there and beat anybody,” Green said. “Give credit to the offense today — they made my job a lot easier.”

Green’s seven strikeouts passes Taylor Jungmann for first on the team with 48. Freshman pitcher Josh Urban pitched the ninth inning and struck out the side.

Texas head coach Augie Garrido said the best thing about the weekend was how his team managed its competitive attitude. Garrido liked that the Longhorns came from behind on Friday and then turned around and jumped out on Missouri on Saturday and Sunday and did not surrender any leads.

“Many times, you see teams with lesser attitudes win the first two games and kind of say, ‘Well, we’ve got it made now; we won the first two games,’ and just kind of cash it in,” Garrido said. “There were all kinds of temptations to let up and drift off and not stay competitive, but they stayed committed to the team’s goals all weekend.”