Texas falls to Kent State

Texas scored three runs in the ninth inning but they weren’t enough to complete a comeback against Kent State, and the Longhorns fell 7-5 in their second game of the Austin regional. Taylor Jungmann registered the loss for Texas, his first of the season and his first loss at home in his career. Jungmann lasted only 5.2 innings and surrendered seven runs and eight hits.

Kent State pitcher Andrew Chafin began the game by striking out the side for the Golden Flashes, which set the tone for him during the game. Chafin struck out eight in 8.2 innings, and gave up three earned runs. The junior entered the game with a 7-1 record and 1.90 ERA, and it is expected he’ll be drafted in the first three rounds of this year’s MLB draft.

The game was a back-and-forth pitching duel with the Longhorns leading 2-1 after five innings, but then the floodgates opened. Jungmann walked the leadoff man in the bottom of the sixth, and then surrendered two consecutive singles to load the bases. Jungmann went up 1-2 on the count against catcher David Lyon, but left a curveball over the plate that Lyon smacked over the right field wall to put the Golden Flashes up 4-2. It was the first time all season Texas surrendered three consecutive hits. Jungmann walked another and gave up a single, and Kent State added two more runs on a double from Campbell off of Andrew McKirahan, who came in relief of Jungmann.

The Longhorns made things interesting in the top of the ninth when Kevin Lusson slapped a two-run home run with two outs, the first pinch home run of his career. Tant Shepherd represented the go-ahead run at the plate after Lucas Kephart walked and Tim Maitland singled to right field, but Shepherd popped up to shallow center to end the game.

Cole Green will pitch for Texas tomorrow against Texas State at 1 p.m. in an elimination game. If the Longhorns defeat Texas State, they’ll have to beat Kent State once tomorrow evening and again on Monday to advance to the super regional.