Luna, Hoagland try out for National Team

For two Longhorns, softball season is not over yet.

Sophomores Blaire Luna and Taylor Hoagland will head to Chula Vista, Calif., next week to try out for the 2011 USA Softball Women’s National Team. Texas alumnus and gold medal Olympian Cat Osterman is currently on the National Team roster.

The USA Softball National Team will compete in several international competitions during its regular season. The team won gold in three consecutive Olympic Games starting in Atlanta before it settled for silver in the 2008 games in Beijing, which marked the last time that softball would be played at the Olympics. In addition, the USA National Team has won seven consecutive World Championships hosted by the International Softball Federation.

Luna, an All-American pitcher from Austin, was named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-American Second Team for the past two years and was the 2010 Big 12 pitcher and freshman of the year. She finished the year with a 28-7 record and a 1.27 ERA.

Hoagland helped lead one of the most prolific offenses ever at Texas and finished the season with a .335 batting average. Earlier in the season, Hoagland set the Big 12 record for most consecutive games with a hit.

Hoagland and Luna are two of 27 athletes who were invited to the training camp to try out. Seventeen athletes will be named to the National Team at the conclusion of the camp on June 17.