Hoagland helping Team USA to quick start

Wearing number 36, rather than her usual number six, Longhorn junior Taylor Hoagland has already started to contribute to the success of the USA National Women’s softball team during her first month on the roster.

This past weekend the national team played in three games during the opening weekend of the Canadian Open Fastpitch International Championship hosted in Surrey, B.C. The United States posted a 3-1 record, defeating Venezuela, Australia, and host Canada, while falling to Japan.

Hoagland started out on the bench for the first few games of the tournament against Australia and Japan. She eventually entered the game as a pinch runner against Australia and a pinch hitter against Japan. It wasn’t until the United States’ game against Venezuela that Hoagland earned her first start.

In the USA’s 8-0 victory against Venezuela, Hoagland started at second base. At the plate, she accounted for an RBI double and two runs scored.

The United States played two more games Wednesday, defeating Japan, 5-1 and run-ruling Venezuela, 10-0 in four innings. Against Japan, Hoagland started a five-run fifth-inning rally with an RBI single and scored in the fourth inning during the contest against Venezuela. The championship game will take place July 17.

After the international tournament in Canada, the USA National Team will return home to host the World Cup of Softball which starts July 21 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.