Kylie Doniak dominates against Cal State Northridge

Texas got strong performances across the board in its 5-1 win against Cal State Northridge, but none of them were as strong as Kylie Doniak’s.

The senior had an assist and two goals in reduced time because of the heat on Sunday.

“We’re really close and have good chemistry and know where each other are going,” Doniak said.

Texas got on the board early with a goal in the 12th minute with Doniak providing the assist. She started the play by taking the ball to the end line and laying a cross in front of the keeper for senior Taylor Knaack to finish.

“Kylie actually did the work, really did the work for the ball,” said Texas head coach Chris Petrucelli. “She pressured the ball, won the ball, got out to end line, hit it back across to Taylor. It was a great effort by Kylie.”

Texas took a 2-0 lead into the half and came out with the same kind of offensive intensity that it started the game with. In the 47th minute of the game, Doniak received a pass from junior Hannah Higgins and took a 25-yard shot with no one around her.

“I had just been wanting to shoot the ball,” Doniak said. “Sounds crazy, but I had just been dying for that shot outside of the 18.”

The shot was nearly perfect, placed in the top corner of the goal, and the keeper was caught out of position, with no chance to stop it.

“When I saw that opportunity, I wasn’t going to pass it up,” Doniak said.

Northridge followed that with its first goal of the season 14 seconds later. With the lead at 3-1, and momentum shifting to Northridge, Doniak stepped up and gave Texas control of the game again.

Knaack received a pass up the sideline, beat her defender and lobbed a cross into the box. From there, all Doniak had to do was win her one-on-one with the only defender in the box to put the ball in the net.

“It went my way today,” Doniak said, who now has four goals in four games. She is already half way to her season total of last year, where she totaled seven goals and has been a major part of Texas’ offensive explosion that has produced 11 goals in
three games. 

Printed on Monday, August 29, 2011 as: Kylie Doniak leads Texas to victory with two goals.