Longhorns overcome rising temperatures with a win

Despite the record heat at Mike A. Myers Stadium, Texas continued its offensive attack on Cal State Northridge through the full 90 minutes of play to win with a score of 5-1. While the temperature reached about 108 degrees, players were subjected to 117 degree heat on the grass. The heat wasn’t the only thing that tested their endurance Sunday afternoon — Texas had just arrived back home after playing a Friday night game on the road.

The Longhorns also won that contest convincingly with a 3-0 shutout of the Georgia Bulldogs.

“On Friday, you get the confidence of going on the road and winning, and winning against a good team,” said head coach Chris Petrucelli. “Then, Sundays are at times difficult to handle because of the quick turnaround, and certainly the heat today made that harder, but knowing that you can handle that situation gives you confidence going forward.”

Confidence was a big factor throughout the game, highlighted by the driving attack of the Texas offense that continued until the last minute of the game. This win marks the first time in program history that Texas has won by three or more points in three consecutive games.

Senior Kylie Doniak from Chino Hills, Calif., led the powerful offensive. Doniak scored two goals, both in the second half and assisted senior Taylor Knaack with a third early in the first half. The other two goals were scored by senior Lucy Keith in the first half and sophomore Lexi Harris in the second.

Cal State Northridge’s only goal came early in the second half, almost immediately after Doniak’s first score of the afternoon. The Matadors’ Melissa Fernandez scored off a mistake by the Texas backfield — the team’s first real attempt all afternoon. What momentum the Matador’s had tried to build was quickly extinguished by Doniak who scored off a header from Knaak at 15 yards out.

“I did have a good day, but it was my teammates who got me the ball,” Doniak said. “I was just happy to be in the position, to be able to make something for them and to reward all the hard work we’ve been doing.”