Ashton Dorsey is quickly emerging as the team’s second defensive tackle

Ashton Dorsey had to wait an extra week to make his 2011 debut, but when he finally got his shot, he made the most of it.

The sophomore defensive tackle returned from a one-game suspension on Saturday against Brigham Young and recorded the Longhorns’ first sack of the season to go along with two tackles for loss.

Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz and defensive line coach Bo Davis have been looking for a second tackle to emerge and ease some of the burden on starter Kheeston Randall. They may have found their man in Dorsey.

“He was just hungry to get out on the field and start his first game,” Randall said. “It was definitely a big game for him. We’re only promised 12 or 13 games each year, so every game you get to play in you’ve got to do your best.”

Texas suspended Dorsey prior to the season-opener against Rice for a violation of team rules. The Owls rushed for 130 yards against the Longhorns in that game. But Dorsey’s return to the starting lineup against BYU helped shore up the Texas run defense, which allowed only 43 yards on the ground to the Cougars.

Longhorns dominating fourth quarter
Texas is saving its best for last this season.

In two games, the Longhorns offense has played average in the first half. Rice and Brigham Young combined to outscore Texas, 19-13, before halftime.

The Longhorns, though, have turned the tables in the second half. Texas has outscored its opponents by eight in the third quarter (14-6) and played some of its best ball in the fourth quarter, scoring 21 points while shutting out both Rice and BYU.

“We’ve played really well in both third quarters and dominated the fourth quarter,” said head coach Mack Brown.

In the fourth quarter, Texas has picked up 14 first downs and limited its opponent to one. The Longhorns have out-rushed the competition by 129 yards (158 to 29) and passed for 107 yards, while allowing just 29. The Longhorns’ improved running game from a season ago has paid huge dividends towards the ends of games as Texas has worn down the competition in the fourth quarter by pounding the ball on the ground.

“It’s a credit to our offseason program. The guys are in great shape,” Brown said.

Longhorns turn to freshman against UCLA
Freshman tailback Malcolm Brown has lived up to the hype so far and could make his first career start against UCLA on Saturday at the Rose Bowl. He was named the co-starter with senior Fozzy Whittaker on Monday.

“We’ll get Malcolm in the game sooner,” said head coach Mack Brown. “We’re trying to make his package grow daily and try to get him to learn a little bit more. He’s got something special about him.”

Brown led Texas in rushing yards for the second straight game against Brigham Young, carrying 14 times for a game-high 68 yards. He paced the Longhorns with 16 carries for 86 yards against Rice.

Whittaker started the Longhorns’ first two games but will give way to the freshman against the Bruins this week. The senior, though, has played well in his two starts, scoring two of the team’s six touchdowns.

Printed on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 as: Dorsey quickly emerging as team's second tackle.