Texas softball tops St. Mary’s

Texas came out strong for the second straight weekend against an overmatched opponent and improved to 2-0 for the fall season with an easy 15-1 win over St. Mary’s on Friday night.

“This gives us a good measuring stick and gives us a good opportunity to get back to work and get better,” said Texas head coach Connie Clark. The star on offense was senior outfielder Courtney Craig who went 4-for-4 with two RBI and three scores. Junior Taylor Hoagland and sophomore Brejae Washington also had productive nights with two hits each. Washington contributed further with two scores and two RBI.

All four Texas hurlers saw time in the circle with junior Kim Bruins receiving credit for the win. Junior All-American Blaire Luna started off the first two frames. Luna walked three and gave up two hits that led to St. Mary’s only score of the night. Bruins came in at the start of the third and threw two no-hit innings.

“It’s a sign of us having a lot of returners,” Clark said of the win over St. Mary’s. “They pick up where they left off. It really kind of bodes well for how hard they worked over the summer.”

Printed on Monday, October 3, 2011 as: Craig goes 4-for-4, leads team to easy victory over St. Mary's