Texas’ volleyball defense continuing to shine

No. 10 Texas (11-4; 5-1 Big 12) is definitely on a roll. They have swept two Texas rivals in a row and are riding a three-game win streak.

Although Bailey Webster, Khat Bell and Rachael Adams’ play has been nothing short of excellent in recent games, the defensive aspect of the Longhorns’ game has continued to aid them in their hopes of a Big 12 title.

In their game against Texas Tech on Wednesday, the team finished with an impressive 43 digs. Although they only had three team blocks, the team’s athleticism was still on display throughout the game.

Nearly every Longhorn had at least one dig, but Amber Roberson led the team with nine.

“I knew that we would get a lot better blocking on the left side with Bailey, and we did a good job on the left side just controlling balls,” said head coach Jerritt Elliott after the game. “I would have liked for our blocking numbers to be a bit higher, but ultimately I was pleased.”

In Texas’ 3-0 sweep of Texas A&M last week, the Longhorns had seven team blocks and 31 digs. The Longhorns limited the Aggies to 33 kills.

“When you play great defense, it puts you in a rhythm,” said setter Hannah Allison. “Defensively, we wanted to make them change what they were doing.”

Texas had a much tougher time defeating Iowa State on Oct. 2. The Longhorns were victorious 3-2 and they had 73 digs and 7.5 team blocks.

The team will be playing in their sixth conference game on Saturday at Kansas State.

“We’ve got so much velocity and we’re digging balls far off the net and making it challenging,” Elliott said.

Although Texas had a bye week last weekend, they are definitely back and hoping to continue this winning streak against Kansas State. The Wildcats also swept Texas Tech in their last game and are 3-2 in Big 12 play.

The Longhorns are definitely on a roll and will head to Manhattan, Kansas in an attempt to improve their record and climb their way back up the rankings.

Printed on Friday, October 14, 2011 as: Defensive-minded Horns keep rolling