Longhorns travel west for Stanford Intercollegiate

As the week winds to an end here in Austin, it’s just getting started for the Longhorns in California. Texas, currently ranked ninth in the nation by GolfWeek, started its third tournament of the season today at the Stanford Intercollegiate. The Longhorns just came off a fifth place finish in the Windy City Classic where they leaped seven spots on the leaderboard in the last round. Their play in Chicago wasn’t what was expected; however, they have another chance to prove themselves this weekend.

The Stanford Intercollegiate, hosted by Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif., is a 54-hole event played at the Stanford Golf Course. This par-71 course is the host to the three-day tournament played through Sunday. There are 16 teams in the field including No. 1 UCLA, No. 6 Arizona State, No. 7 Southern California, No. 8 Oklahoma State and No. 9 Vanderbilt.

The last time Texas competed in this event was 2009 when the Longhorns finished fourth out of 15 teams with a final score of 864 (+12). The Longhorns’ lineup will consist of freshman Bertine Strauss, juniors Haley Stephens, Madison Pressel, Desiree Dubreuil and Katelyn Sepmoree and senior Nicole Vandermade. Dubreuil is expected to lead the Longhorns for a third time in a row. She finished 2nd individually in their first tournament while finishing 25th last week in the Windy City Classic, both times leading the Longhorns in scoring. Texas is paired with a mix of teams including Oregon State, UCLA, Stanford, San Diego State and San Jose State in their six tee times.

Printed on Friday, October 14, 2011 as: Debreuil leads experienced squad