Longhorn-Red Raider Rivalry: Timeline

Saturday, November 9, 1996:
In the first season for both teams to play in the Big 12 Conference, the Longhorns travelled to Lubbock to compete against the Red Raiders. In commemoration of the first year that both University systems held a chancellor position, the tradition of awarding a travelling trophy — coined the Chancellor’s Spurs — to the winner of annual rivalry games to follow began. The Longhorns took the gold and silver spurs back to Austin after beating the Red Raiders 38-32.

Saturday, November 15, 2003:
A game that would rack up over 1,000 combined offensive yards, the No. 6 ranked Longhorns took on the unranked Red Raiders at DKR Stadium. With a little over two minutes left in the game, Texas trailed Texas Tech, 40-35. Under the orders of Mack Brown, Vince Young was benched and junior quarterback Chance Mock took the field. Starting at his own fourteen yard line, Mock drove the Longhorns seventy-five yards in one minute and seventeen seconds. With forty-six seconds remaining on the clock, Mock threw an end zone strike to B.J. Johnson, putting the Longhorns in front. He polished off his incredible performance by rushing for a two-point conversion—clenching a 43-40 win for Texas.

Saturday, October 22, 2005:
The national Game of the Week, featuring a highly anticipated clash between two undefeated teams — #2 Texas and #10 Texas Tech — was a blowout Longhorn victory. Texas held the Red Raider’s top-ranked offense to a mere seventeen points while the Longhorn offense managed to put fifty-two points on the scoreboard. Wide Receiver Billy Pittman caught quarterback Vince Young’s two touchdown passes and set a career-record in receiving yards; running back Sevlin Young also scored two touchdowns. The game marked the first time Texas had gone 7-0 since 1983.

Saturday, November 1, 2008:
Among the most jaw-clenching, heart-wrenching defeats in the history of Texas football, the Longhorns lost in Lubbock in a 39-33 Red Raider victory. Going into the game, Texas was ranked number one while Texas Tech was seeded number five. During the first half, Texas Tech dominated the game on both sides of the ball; at halftime the Red Raiders had outscored the Longhorns, 22-6. With one minute and twenty-nine seconds left in the game, Texas took the lead for the first time, 33-32. With only eight seconds remaining on the clock, Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell connected with wide receiver Michael Crabtree who managed to (barely) make it into the end zone with one second to go. This game was the first time that ESPN’s College GameDay aired from Lubbock; it was also the first time, under the reign of Mack Brown, that the Longhorns lost on the final offensive play of a game. It was the fifth most viewed regular season college football game in the history of ABC, was tagged the ESPN’s Classic’s game of the week and declared the 2008 College Football Game of the Year. Marking the 500th win in the history of Texas Tech football, it is the most memorable matchup between the Longhorns and Red Raiders, and arguably one of the greatest games in college football.