Longhorns sweep semifinals, claim all final spots in tournament

The finals in both singles and doubles at the Southwest Shootout will have a decidedly burnt orange tinge after the Longhorns claimed every finals spot at the tournament in Fort Worth this weekend.

Texas swept all semifinal matches on Saturday and will compete against each other in the finals on Sunday at Texas Christian University’s Friedman Tennis Center.

In the Flight A singles bracket, freshman Soren Hess-Olesen will take on teammate Daniel Whitehead in a rematch of a final at a tournament in Midland earlier in the season, in which Whitehead walked away with the win after Hess-Olesen retired with a minor injury. Whitehead defeated TCU’s Nick Chappell 6-3, 6-4 in the semifinals while Hess-Olesen beat Rafael Garcia of Texas Tech, by a 6-4, 6-2 count.

In the Flight B singles draw, Junior Ben Chen scored a 6-1, 6-2 win over Daniel Sanchez of TCU to earn a spot in the final. Also posting victories in the B singles draw were junior Alex Hilliard, who defeated Max Stevens of TCU in straight sets, and sophomore Sudanwa Sitaram, who scored a two-set victory over Michael Nuesslein of Rice.

Freshman Jacoby Lewis posted a 7-6, 6-4 win over Raphael Pfister of Texas Tech in the Flight B singles consolation semifinals.

In the doubles draw, Whitehead teamed up with teammate Chen to take out the TCU team of Sanchez and Superlano 8-1 to set up an all-Texas final against Hess-Olesen and Hilliard, who dealt Sundling and Chappell of TCU an 8-5 defeat.

Other Longhorns also in action this weekend included junior Chris Camillone and sophomore David Holiner who competed in the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships in New York. The duo won its first match, before losing in the quarterfinals, which put them in the consolation bracket. Camillone and Holiner were then defeated 8-3 by Carlos Cueto and Ben McLachlan of California to wrap up their weekend.