Texas continues winning streak

The Longhorns didn’t skip a beat without one of their top players.

In No. 8 Texas’ (17-4, 10-1 Big 12) first game without Khat Bell this season, fellow freshman Haley Eckerman stepped up and posted a career-high 23 kills on Wednesday as the Longhorns swept Texas Tech in Lubbock.

The Longhorns had a .396 hitting percentage in the game. Sophomore setter Hannah Allison has been putting up strong numbers all season, but in the win, she had 39 assists, eight digs and a career-high of five kills.

Texas began the first set with a bang and took a 9-2 lead. Back-to-back kills by senior middle blocker Rachael Adams ended the set 23-14. She had six kills and a.556 hitting percentage in the win.

The Longhorns took an early 9-1 lead in the second set. Although the Red Raiders came back and made the score to 12-10, Eckerman had five kills in the set and Texas finished the set 25-15.

The third set was closer than the first two with Texas leading 18-16 at one point. But Eckerman’s four kills in the set helped lead the Longhorns to the 25-18 set win.

The Red Raiders were held to .126 hitting and had the Longhorns had eight blocks. Texas is currently in first place in the Big 12 with five games left in conference play.

Published on Thursday, November 10, 2011 as: Longhorns sweep Red Raiders on road