Longhorns head to Missouri

The No. 9 Longhorns (19-4, 12-1 Big 12) are heading to Missouri this weekend with a lot of momentum pushing them towards a Big 12 conference victory. With just three games left in conference play, the Longhorns have definitely hit their stride and are making progress as a team. They won their eleventh straight match on Wednesday against Baylor.

As with any team there are setbacks, and this team seems to be injury prone.

But, the team doesn’t seem to be letting it bother them and players like Michelle Kocher, Madelyn Hutson and Haley Cameron are getting the opportunity to see the court.

Every player on the team can be subbed in at any time and the team doesn’t miss a step.

Hutson came into the game on Wednesday and had two kills in the second set and two assisted blocks. She was a key part in the team’s 25-19 second set victory.

Kocher, who has been impressing head coach Jerritt Elliott in practice, has earned more playing time as the season has progressed.

She came into the game in the third set and had eleven assists and helped the team hit .464 with 14 kills.

Kocher and Hutson have an impressive connection on the court that led to Hutson’s six kills on the night.

“It’s just conveying what we do in practice on the court in the games,” Hutson said. “We work hard every day, so it’s great to be able to show it.”

The rest of the Longhorns are hitting their stride. On Wednesday against Baylor, Sha’Dare McNeal had nine kills and Haley Eckerman had a team high of ten.

As the season comes to a close, no one can deny that this team is a force to be reckoned with. They face Missouri on Saturday, who they swept earlier this season.

“I like our team,” Elliott said. “I think we’re getting better. I think we’re able to make good decisions.”

Published on Friday, November 18, 2011 as: Longhorns take on Missouri, sights set on postseason run