Big 12 Quick Hits: Week 12

Oklahoma State

Quarterback Brandon Weeden became the first player in school history to throw 1,000 passes as well as becoming the all-time leader in passing yards, with 9,244 in just 25 career games. With three more turnovers against Iowa State, the Cowboys have 37 takeaways on the year, tops in the nation. Running back Joseph Randle became the 20th player in school history to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a season. Wide receiver Michael Harrison (ankle) and safety Deion Imade (knee) did not play against the Cyclones because of injuries.

Texas A&M

The 55-point victory over Kansas was the Aggies’ largest margin of victory since a 66-8 win over SMU in 2005. It was also only the third time since 1998 that the Aggies scored 60 or more points in a conference game. Running back Cyrus Gray strained his shoulder in the first half against the Jayhawks and will be re-evaluated before the Thanksgiving Day game against Texas. Wide receiver Jeff Fuller did not start last week, snapping a streak of 29-straight starts. Running back Will Randolph had his redshirt stripped late against the Jayhawks because of the uncertainty of Gray’s injury leading up to this week’s game against the Longhorns.

Texas Tech

The Red Raiders have given up an average of 327 rushing yards in their last four games, all losses. Their current four-game losing streak is the longest since the team went 6-6 in 1993. Sophomore linebacker Zach Winbush did not play against Missouri last week after breaking his foot in practice. Junior wide receiver Alex Torres suffered a knee injury during last Saturday’s game and did not return. Freshman running back DeAndre Washington and senior offensive guard Lonnie Edwards also injured their knees and did not return either.

Oklahoma

With his four rushing touchdowns against Baylor last week, freshman quarterback Blake Bell became the first Sooner quarterback since J.C. Watts in 1980 to rush for four touchdowns. Defensive end Ronnell Lewis left the Baylor game in the second quarter after spraining his MCL in his left knee. Head coach Bob Stoops said Lewis’ injury will not require surgery, but that he will likely miss the final two games of the season.

Iowa State

Wide receiver Albert Gary turned himself into police last week after being charged with robbery stemming from an incident in June. Gary had been suspended for three games earlier in the season, but he played against Oklahoma State. For the first time since 2005, the Cyclones have defeated two ranked teams in a season. Wide receiver Josh Lenz left last week’s game in the first quarter because of a leg injury. He didn’t return to the game. Offensive guard Ethan Tuftee was expected to play (knee surgery) but was held out against the Cowboys.

Baylor

For the first time since 1980, and only the second time in school history, the Bears have a chance at reaching 10 wins on the season. Quarterback Robert Griffin III broke his own passing record when he threw for 479 against the Sooners last week. The Bears’ six-game home winning streak is the longest such streak since winning seven in a row over the ’92 and ’93 seasons. Senior wide receiver Kendall Wright became to only Baylor player to have topped 200 yards receiving in a game when he caught eight balls for 208 yards last weekend. Junior safety Chance Casey was held out of last week’s game because of an ankle injury.

Missouri

The Tigers have become bowl eligible for the seventh consecutive season. Head coach Gary Pinkel was suspended for the Tigers’ game last week following his DWI arrest earlier that week. It was the first time since 2000 that Pinkel was not on the sidelines for the Tigers. The Tigers have erased at least a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter two times this season, once against Texas A&M and last weekend against Texas Tech.