Keys to the Game: Week 12

Under 20

In the 13 years that Mack Brown has been the head coach at the University of Texas, he has only lost five games where Texas has held the opposing team to under 20 points. This has happened twice in consecutive games for the first time under Brown. The most recent time this happened was in 2006 against Texas A&M, where the Texas lost a 12-7 contest in Austin. Before that game, the previous two occasions came in losses to Oklahoma: a 12-0 loss in 2004, and a 14-3 loss in 2001. The offense has only been able to put up 18 points in the past two games. It’s the lowest offensive output in under Mack Brown since scoring only 12 points in consecutive losses to Nebraska and Arkansas in 1999. Texas hasn’t been held below 20 points in three straight games in a single season since 1986, with a win over Rice, and two losses to Oklahoma and Arkansas in Fred Akers’ final season as head coach.

Yards, yards and more yards

In the four wins Texas A&M has over Texas since Mack Brown took over as head coach, the Aggies have averaged 369 yards per game, while averaging 314 yards in their losses. Meanwhile, Texas averages 440 yards in offense in its wins, while averaging almost 140 yards less in losses. During the last 13 games in the series, Texas has averaged 32 points per game and has scored at least 40 points in six games. The Aggies have been held to just more than 20 points per game, have never scored more than 40 pints in a game and have been held to 20 points or less eight times.

Winning the Half

In Texas A&M’s five losses this season, it is averaging 518 yards in total offense and has outgained its opponent in three of those games. The Aggies’ lowest offensive output in a loss was putting up 29 points and 471 yards against Oklahoma State. The Aggies have conceded three double digit half time leads this season. The Aggies gave up a 17 point lead against Oklahoma State, and 18-point lead against Arkansas a week later, and an 11-point lead in an overtime loss against Missouri. Texas A&M is giving up 18 points per game in the second half and overtime this season. In conference play, that number goes up to 21 points. The Aggies have been outscored 142-65 in the second half of losses this season.