Lewis takes the lead

The Texas freshmen have taken turns controlling games when they need to. Last night, it was Julien Lewis' turn.

Lewis scored 14 of his career-high 19 points in the second half to help Texas (7-2) defeat Texas State 84-52 Saturday night. Sheldon McClellan and Myck Kabongo scored 13 while Alexis Wangmene and J'Covan Brown each added 11. But it was Lewis who received his turn at star-attention in the post-game after turning in his record performance.

"I thought, `oh, yeah, it's my time. It's my time to hit these big shots,'" Lewis said . "In college basketball, you never get that many open shots. Today, everywhere I went I was open."

This game was over within the first ten minutes. Texas crawled to a 15-10 lead until it decided to put the pedal to the floor by scoring 14 straight points. The Longhorns went on an eventual 23-9 run to end the half.

To add insult to injury, Texas came into the second period and netted six straight three pointers, including three in a row from Lewis.

On top of playing solid offense, head coach Rick Barnes was finally pleased with his team's vintage defensive performance that held the Bobcats to 13.6 percent shooting in the first half.

"The first half looked the most like a Texas team defensively than at any point this year," Barnes said.

The Bobcats' Eddie Rios scored 11 points as the only Texas State player to hit double digits.

Barnes has stressed rebounding throughout the young season, and it has been a sore spot in an otherwise positive year thus far for the Longhorns. Texas had no problem on the glass in this game however. It snagged 42 boards to the Bobcats' 27.

The Longhorns will hope to carry this momentum into Tuesday night's 7pm matchup against Nicholls State at the Frank Erwin Center.