Records broken in landslide victory

2012-02-09_Softball_vs_CalState_Lawrence_Peart325
Lawrence Peart

Sophomore Mandy Ogle had her second career home run and set a career high with four RBIs during Texas’ convincing victory.

The season has barely begun and the Longhorns are already rewriting the Texas record books with a 23-0 win against the California State Fullerton Titans Thursday night. The Texas offense overshadowed a top notch Texas defense with a lights out performance in the first game of the Texas tournament.

Up 12-0 at the end of the second inning, the 18th ranked Longhorns broke their first record of the night — a 12-year-old single game record for number of runs scored by a Texas team in a season opener. The record had previously been held by the 1998 Longhorn team who flew past St. Edward’s University 10-0 to open.

The second broken record, for most runs in a single game, came in the bottom of the third when sophomore Brejae Washington’s two RBI single plated sophomore Mandy Ogle and freshman Gabby Smith for the 18th and 19th runs of the night. The 1999 squad had held the record previously with 17 runs against the University of Texas at San Antonio before Thursday.

Finally after four innings, the Titans pulled their starting pitcher — a junior who gave up 15 hits and 20 runs.

“You have to adapt to every pitcher and we were helping each other out,” Ogle said. “We would come in and tell everyone what we were seeing, everyone was working with each other and we were just on.”

Although the Texas offense started out strong with three runs in the bottom of the first, it was the nine runs scored in the bottom of the second that really set the tone for the night. Junior power hitter Taylor Hoagland and Ogle headlined the power offense, each producing a multiple score home run. After a nine run second inning, senior team captain Lexy Bennett brought the home run count to three with her own multiple run bomb.

By the end of the third inning, each Longhorn in the starting line up, with the exception of the junior Blaire Luna, their All-American pitcher, had scored. In addition, all starters finished the night with at least one base hit, with the exception of junior first baseman Kim Bruins, who was walked and hit by pitch twice.

“It was pretty nice,” Ogle said. “We were just having fun, having our own little Texas party in the dugout.”