Texans anticipate victory in Puerto Rico

Coming off a fourth consecutive event victory two weeks ago in Kohala Coast, Hawaii, the Longhorns men’s golf team will look to make it five wins in a row this week at the Purdue/Puerto Rico Invite.

The three-day event will be held in Rio Mar, Puerto Rico and will kick off on Feb. 19. No. 1 Texas, which has not lost since its first tournament in mid-September, is the favorite of a 15-team field that also includes No. 7 Georgia Tech and No. 8 Alabama.

This will mark the second tournament of the 2012 spring season for the Longhorns. Texas led after every round in the first tournament of the new year, the Amer Ari Invitational, and it will look to build on that success this week.

This season the Longhorns have been led by freshman Jordan Spieth, the top-ranked collegiate golfer, but will likely be without his skills in this event. Spieth will be taking part in the PGA Tour’s Northern Trust Open in Pacific Palisades, Calif. on Feb. 16-19.

Without Spieth, senior Dylan Frittelli will likely have to shoulder the load for the Longhorns. Frittelli, the second-ranked golfer in the NCAA, has finished among the top 10 individual golfers in each of Texas’ five tournaments this season.

The Longhorns have been the NCAA’s most consistent golf team this season, and they are hopeful to continue their win streak this week in Puerto Rico.

Printed on Friday, February 17, 2012 as: Without Spieth, Horns go abroad to face top teams